Overnight summer camp is a time for adventure, learning, fun, and making memories that will last a lifetime. While packing the necessities is essential, bringing along a few fun extras can make the experience even more exciting.
Here are 20 fun things to consider packing for your child's summer camp adventure*:
- Outdoor games: Frisbees, footballs, or other outdoor games to play around with friends during free time.
- Yo-yo: Learn new tricks and have fun with a classic toy.
- Binoculars: Explore your surroundings and spot wildlife with a pair of binoculars.
- Compass: Don’t get lost, bring a compass!
- My Friends and I book: Capture those fun memories and remember the friends you made at camp forever. By passing their My Friends and I friendship book around among your new friends, you will learn so much more about them, and have a wonderful keepsake to cherish for years to come.
- Camera: Snap fun pictures of yourself and your friends at camp! They’re perfect to add to your new friends’ pages in your My Friends and I book.
- Address book: Don’t forget to bring an address book and get all your new friends’ addresses!
- Friendship bracelets: Pack some string and beads to make friendship bracelets for all your new friends. A friendship bracelet also makes a great bookmark to mark the pages in your My Friends and I book that are reserved for your friends.
- Journal: Reflect on your camp experience with a journal or diary.
- Pens and pencils: Remember to bring some pens and pencils, you’ll need them for your My Friends and I book, your address book, and your journal!
- Stickers: Decorate notebooks, water bottles, or anything else with fun stickers.
- Headlamp or flashlight: Illuminate your path and surroundings with a headlamp or flashlight!
- Glow sticks: Add some fun to nighttime activities with glow sticks.
- Glow-in-the-dark paint: Add some extra fun to your nighttime activities with glow-in-the-dark paint.
- Telescope: Reach for the stars – if you're in a remote area with minimal light pollution, a telescope can be a great way to stargaze.
- Board games or card games: From Go Fish to trivia games, board and card games can provide hours of entertainment with your new friends.
- Books: From mystery to fantasy, bring along a few books for some quiet downtime.
- Puzzle books: Keep the mind sharp during downtime with crossword puzzles, Sudoku, or other puzzle books.
- Musical instrument: Got a small musical instrument like a ukulele, harmonica, or flute? Bring it with you! It’ll make those campfire nights even cozier!
- Portable speaker: Play music and have a dance party with a portable speaker.
Whatever items your bring, may your child’s summer camp experience be filled with joyful moments and lasting memories!
*Before packing, confirm with your camp provider which items your child can bring.